This salad. I can’t even. Can you even? This was my take on the warm spinach and bacon salad popular at steak houses in the 80’s (I think?). My mom used to make this and it was one of my favorite things like. ever. I think she only made it at fancy dinner parties though so I never learned her secrets. So I found this recipe online and went from there. I served this up with some roasted brussies doused in balsamic and parmesan and some honey mustard chicken thighs so I left off the eggs and I decided to cook the onions and mushrooms. Raw mushrooms in a salad just don’t do it for me unless they are marinated.
- One big ol’ bowl of arugula (you could use spinach but I really liked the arugula better, also I’m sure kale or other various greens could work)
- 2 green onions, sliced finely
- 1/2 apple, julienned
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 5-6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 large sweet onion, finely diced (or sliced I guess would work too)
- 1/2 tablespoon beaver brand mild dijon (it’s just the best- that’s why)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
Dice up the bacon and throw it in a pan over medium heat, let it really render down and get nice and crispy..you’ll need that fat because yup, it’s going IN the dressing! Scandalous! Take out the bacon and drain it on a paper towel while you cook the onion and mushrooms in a little bit of bacon grease. I never said this was healthy! Once they’re nicely cooked/browned, add in the last three ingredients and a splash of bacon grease – use your judgement on how much you want. stir that all up so it’s nice and saucy, then pour over your arugula, mix in the apple and green onion and toss! Take a bite and close your eyes while you bask in the sheer delicous-ness enveloping your every sense. Repeat.