I looooove a good chile relleno, but making it at home is a little more work than I’m usually interested in doing. Roasting the chiles; peeling them; removing the seeds without damaging the chile; stuffing them without damaging the chile; battering them without making a huge mess – it’s a hassle. A couple weeks ago, it was pointed out to me that traditional chiles rellenos are completely keto-friendly. And then I happened upon the idea of making it into a casserole/lasagna. Perfect. This recipe removes some of the more tedious aspects of chile-relleno-making and it is really damn delicious.
- 8-10 large chiles, poblano or anaheim. I used anaheim.
- 6 oz pepper jack, shredded. Trader Joe’s jalapeno monterey jack worked great.
- 4 oz cheddar, shredded
- 6 oz cream cheese
- chicken/chik’n, if desired. I used two Quorn chik’n cutlets.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped onion and/or corn and/or tomatoes
- Roast and peel the chiles. If you have not done this before, here’s how. Heat oven to 350.
- Remove the stems and slice chiles lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
- Lay half the chiles out flat in the bottom of a greased 9×13 glass baking dish. You want to more or less cover the whole surface. If this requires slightly more than half the chiles, that’s fine.
- Mix together the cheeses. Spread the mixture evenly over the chiles.
- Add protein and vegetables of choice. I didn’t think to add onion until it was too late, but I’m sure it could have only improved matters. Corn or tomatoes would also be good.
- Lay out the rest of the chiles on top in a single layer.
- Whisk the eggs and cream together until foamy. Pour over the casserole.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until egg mixture is set.
I would also like to add some unrelated photos to show off the tarts I made for a friend’s bachelorette party tonight. The crust is made of almond flour with lemon zest and honey. The filling is a combo of whipped cream, coconut cream, mascarpone, lemon juice, powdered sugar, and vanilla. I topped them with toasted coconut and berries.